The Book of Merm

And so it is written

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Back again, honestly.

Ok so here I go again with another attempt to start this thing. Unfortunately for my investors the Book of Merm has not had the same level of input as Covering the Spread, and thus has not enjoyed the same amount of readership. But that is about to change. Mark my word (and as it is already written in the Book of Merm we all know it's Merm Law), this blog will be something interesting.

Up until this point I really haven't had a lot that I could write about. Any of you that know my life know that the things that have happened in the past year (the good and the bad) are not really things that are blogable. They all involved people that really didn't need to read about things like that. But I will say the one thing I did miss out on including is a bit about my new lady friend. We aren't so much new together as we are in a different stage of being together (everyone that knows me should understand and if you don't, oh well, can't win em all). She's an amazing girlfriend, and not to rub this in anyone's face or anything like that, I don't think I could be happier than I am right now.

Moving on to the second biggest deal in my life, Barbados. So if you are reading this and just happened to find it randomly you would have no clue what Barbados means to me. But, if you have even spent a second talking to me in the past semester (that includes the lady that cleans my dorm) you'd know what it means. Well, for those that have no idea I'll tell you. Barbados is where I will be spending my remaining 4 months of college. The 75-85 degree weather; the sunshine; the beaches and the warm tropical water that comes with them; the slow pace of life and (hopefully) the nicest people in the world; the Cricket World Cup and 30,000 people a game (11 games = 330,000+ people); one of the best experiances in my life (again hopefully).

I see this whole thing playing out like a really boring reality show. In my occasional fit of dillusion I scare my self with thoughts of all the bad things that could happen, but honestly will it? probably not. So, like I said, it will be a boring reality show in which I'm the "star" and my life, while filled with fun and cool things, won't have too much drama. On an island the size of Southern NH what could go wrong? So I guess a list of the characters that I currently have in play in this show would be good. That way, should anyone really care to read this thing, you will have an idea of who's who.

Jon's Boring TV Show (I'm taking suggestions for better titles-feel free to make suggestions)
Characters -in the order I think of as I'm writing this thing out:

Me
: Well you guys know me. I'll be the intern thrown into a different culture and pace of life that needs to adapt ASAP, but not too fast, cause then they'll think I'm too American or something, who knows.

Kerrigan: The guy that has helped me with everything so far. He takes awhile to get things done sometimes, but he is so busy I'm just happy he found any time at all to set this all up. Thanks to him I have a place to stay, a job, and a chance to meet the right people for the future.

Mark Hill and family
: The people I am staying with. I called Mark once, and emailed a few times. He seems like a nice guy and I'm sure his family is great(6 kids and a wife, that is a lot of people!). I think he works in the office that I will be working in, but I'm not 100% on that. His house is roughly 3-10 miles from work, a few beaches, and the cricket oval (thats what they call cricket stadiums). Being so close to everything will be cool, as long as I can figure out just how to get around.

The Earthworks Guy: A guy that owns a pottery place and has a connection to my parents. I've talked with him a few times over the summer and he sounds like a nice guy and hopefully someone that can help show me around.

Ocean Echo Stables Couple: Ok so at this moment I forget both of their names, but I think his was Bernard. I met them when Amber and I were down there last year. They own a horseback riding place on the East Coast and give riding tours through the most amazing places I have ever seen. They were a down to earth couple with a few kids and were just really nice people. I plan on getting in touch with them when I'm down there and maybe if I'm lucky I'll get to see the horses again.

The LOC: This is the collective of people that make up the Local Organising Committiee in Barbados. These are the people I will be working with and spending a majority of my time with. Once I get to know them I will probably include more characters, but for now this is where they'll be.

The other interns: What other interns? Let's see how that goes.

OK, that's my list....for now. I'll have more to say as I get closer, but for now I think this is good. 21 days left and it still seems unreal. I won't fully feel it till I'm on that plane leaving Logan. For now I'm going to try and make the most of my short time here, see as many people as I can and have as much fun as I can. Then it's off to B'Dos and an experiance of a lifetime.


I'll get less serious some day.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    dearest jon,
    it was alright.
    one day maybe.
    we like the same kind of cheese.
    wrong i
    like swiss.
    come on.
    shut it.
    la la la la la.
    derka derka.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home