The Book of Merm

And so it is written

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

2 Weeks In Paradise

Well for some it’s paradise. As a tourist Barbados is the best place I have ever been. The weather is gorgeous, the people are friendly, and the beaches are amazing. If you are here for a week and have the money to spend you can do pretty much anything you can think of. From a leisurely sail to wild surfing, as a tourist you can do anything.

As a local it’s pretty much paradise too, except for the fact that you have to live with high prices for everything. (US$1.07 a liter for gas, ya there are about 4 liters in a gallon, crazy when the average builder makes US$37.50 a day.) Locals have the benefit of knowing all the good spots to go, and getting great prices on the cool stuff like sailing and so on. As with every island there is a local prices and a tourist price for almost everything except food and gas.

Now you might think since I am currently living here that I am a local. Well that is where you are wrong. There are three main classifications of people that I have decided are on the island. These classifications are not necessarily dependent on wealth, but more your address. On Barbados, it being paradise and metropolitan at the same time, there are tourists, locals, and what I am, a visitor/guest.

V/Gs are in a strange spot because they don’t want to be a tourist but will never really be a local, despite the reassurance that they are “becoming Bajans” A Bajan is a Bajan by birth, and you can never really become one. Bajan, if you couldn’t tell is what locals call themselves. Bajan isn’t just who you are, or how you talk, it’s a lifestyle. No matter how long you live here I don’t think that you could ever effectively live a true Bajan life.

So what that leaves me with is the V/Gs for my time here. Of course there is a downside to hanging out with temporary residents. These people are only here as long as work keeps them here, just like me. Of course that means that the three people that I have become friendly with already have their tickets out of here.

This rambling, as crazy as it is does have a point somewhere. I guess the main point is that while I love being a visitor I feel bad in a way that I will never really be a part of the culture. Maybe I’m all wrong and it will take time, like everything else here. Who knows, I mean I did already figure out the bus system, so I’m on my way I guess.

On a final note about this stuff, the other point that you may have missed is that Barbados is an amazing place to visit. There is plenty to see. I have come 5 times, this being my 6th, and I’m still seeing new things, and finding new things. It’s a great place and if you ever get a chance I highly recommend it. Now truthfully a good portion of you that are reading this have probably been, or are in the process of getting a ticket to come here. This note wasn’t for you. It’s for anyone that has not put Barbados on their places to go list.

For anyone that I haven’t talked to at all I will tell you that I’m doing great here. I am loving it, despite my earlier ramblings. There are some things that are not as I would have hoped, but these things happen…it’s Barbados.

Lessons in Bajan Culture

As requested by Nick I will occasionally add new insights into the Bajan culture (well at least the ones that I know.)

- Never pass a person without saying hi (or “ya…alright” or “alright alright” or “good evening” (that’s a big one) )

Note: This only applies when you are anywhere outside of Bridgetown (or “Town” as everyone knows it. If you’re in Town and you say hi people will think you are crazy.

- Be friendly as much as possible and share with others. Even if you do not have much giving something is better than nothing. The strong culture of giving is something that is a key piece of Bajan life.

- If you are going to cook something, make sure you cook a ton of food. Apparently everyone eats huge portions here. Everywhere I go they give the biggest portions, but it’s all good healthy food, not like biggie sizing or anything.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:42 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hi Jon -

    I left another comment but in the wrong place.

    It has been a month since your last post. Your readership wants an update. What's hot, what's not on your Barbados adventure?

    Text is good. Pics are good. Text and pics are better.

    D. Toub

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home